Monday, April 4, 2011

Parent & Child One on One Time.

Last week I wrote about having fun with your children. One of the things I mentioned was having one on one time with each child. I’d like to expand that thought.

 

I strongly believe each child needs regular meaningful one on one time with each of their parents. This is a special time for you to get to know your child and to let your child know how much you love them. Just the act of setting up a special time to be alone with your child lets them know that they are important to you. You can convey how much you love them, enjoy them and want to be with them.

 

In my experience it was during the one on one times that I really grew to know my children. I learned about their hopes, joys, struggles and fears. I learned what was important to them, what they enjoyed, and what kinds of things they thought about. This flowed out of spending time being fully present with them (not on the phone, texting or thinking about things you have to do). Without the distractions of others you can hear what’s really going on in their life.

 

Do something with your child that they enjoy and just have fun! Play board games, have a catch, go for a walk at the beach, skip stones… do things they like to do that involve connection and interaction. Don’t go see a movie, unless you get some ice cream or go out for lunch before or after. The idea is to have time to connect, talk and have fun.

 

Start a tradition, a time at the park or a special meal out together. With older children and teens it is often in the last few minutes of your time together when the significant topics will come up so when possible create flexibility in your schedule to expand your time as you are able.

 

Bedtime is a perfect time to take a few minutes with each child to listen to their day. Give them a backrub as you listen to the events of their day... now you are adding meaningful touch!

 

Not long ago I was tagged on a facebook message from a friend’s daughter, who babysat for our children when they were young. She remembered that I took my daughter away for an overnight by herself when she was 10- and she had just done the same thing with her 10 year old daughter. Our get-a-way was a great time to create memories with my daughter and talk about the changes that will be coming in her life.

 

I know your schedules are busy. Investing in your relationship with your child will pay dividends for the rest of your life! This special time with your child is PRICELESS!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment